Monday, January 18, 2010

Fabric Flower Purse Charms

At Leadership, a top Demonstrator showed us these awesome fabric flowers that she used to create purse charms. I absolutely could not wait to get home & try them! When I got home, I realized that I didn't have the correct dies to create them. I was bummed - especially since I had gone fabric shopping & bought the supplies to create the flowers! I placed an order! ;o)

My order arrived today and guess what I did?!?


These are just three of the 13 I made. Well, I haven't really made 13....I've done all but add the ribbons to the remaining 10. The others are made from the same fabric designs so they look very similar to these. The only difference is that the flower layers are different since the Big Shot die (Flower Folds) cuts out four different sizes of flowers at once.
I love the color combination of blues and browns! I do really like this flower but I can't decide if it's my favorite or not.....I'm leaning toward, "Yes!"

This one is really cute and I wasn't sure how the designs would look together - even though they were bundled together when I bought the fabric.
This one is one of my favorite design combinations. I definitely wanted to use a black/white combination so that it would coordinate with more of my bags and purses.
This is the blue/brown flower.

This is the multi-color flower.

This is the black/white flower. As you can tell, they are various thicknesses. I'm not exactly sure why this is, maybe because I held the iron on that area longer? No matter what the reason, I think I like it.





With the three previous pictures, you can get a better look at the fabric designs I used.
Now, I have to tell you that these flowers may be a little "involved" than I was thinking they would be. I used a "fusible" batting at first but either my iron is just too old to do the job (it is over 20 years old!) or it didn't get hot enough (again, it is over 20!). When that didn't work very well, I ran to the local craft store and bought a batting spray (read: batting adhesive) along with more batting to complete the job. The spray didn't work as well as I expected it to work either. I ironed all the fusible batting fabric designs (I had only tried one design earlier) to see if that would help. That does make the batting more rigid and that looks really good but it doesn't really stick to the fabric. :o(
The only thing I can think of to do next is to sew around the petals with a sewing machine but I'm not a seamstress and I can't even begin to think of doing that. Maybe a different adhesive? What do you think? Anyone have any suggestions on an adhesive to use that won't "gum up" my brand new die?

No comments: