Friday, April 24, 2009

Jaron's Color Combination Challenge #1

One of my very favorite Stampin' Up! employees is Jaron Winder....I should rephrase that to "former Stampin' Up! employees". He is no longer with Stampin' Up! but he's still one of my very favorite people! I would "stalk" him at each Stampin' Up! event I attended, have my picture taken with him and chat a little bit about his family. He has the most adorable little "chickens" (that's what he calls his kids) and his wife is just beautiful! He has a personality that's as big as Utah (they live there) and a heart to match! I was sad to hear that he was no longer with Stampin' Up! but happy that I get to keep track of him through his blog.

When I checked his blog this morning, I saw that he decided to start posting a Color Combination Challenge. Since it's Jaron I couldn't not do it! I mean how bad would it be for me to say that this man creates some amazing work and then not trust his judgement by not participating in his challenge? Just because his first color combination is Old Olive, Taken with Teal and Soft Sky (a retired In-Color, color) doesn't mean he's lost his mind or anything....or at least I hope he hasn't.

After I finished some projects that I had to finish today, I decided to pull out Jaron's colors and see what I could come up with....Holy Smokes - they look GREAT together! I don't think the scan of my card does it justice! Using the stamp set Bird on a Branch, I first stamped the peacock (I don't know if that's what it really is but it's what I'm saying it is!) in Taken with Teal, then I stamped it in Soft Sky and did the "rock-n-roll" technique to outline it in Taken with Teal on a separate piece of Whisper White card stock and cut it out. The sentiment is stamped in Taken with Teal and the tree limb is stamped in Chocolate Chip. I first inked up the blossoms with Soft Sky and then removed the ink off some of the blossoms and colored them in using my Old Olive marker. I "popped-up" the peacock with dimensionals after I did all the stamping. Because I wanted everything to line up in specific places, I used my handy-dandy Stamp-a-ma-jig. There is no way I would have been able to get everything lined up the way I wanted it if I hadn't!

So, tell me what you think. Do you like these colors together? Why don't you give it a try and leave a comment to tell me what you think. Better yet, send me a picture of your creation and I'll post it here and put a link to it on Jaron's blog as well (if you're okay with that). I would love to see what you come up with!

7 comments:

Jaron Winder said...

You far exceeded my expectations. Your card is BEAUTIFUL. You get an A for awesomeness. (Is that a word?)I am more than impressed. Can't believe you were doubting me at first. (I was doubting myself too- just between you and me;)
Your friend,
Jaron

loafer06 said...

Awesome card, Angie! I cannot believe you would "doubt" anything Jaron would pick! But, how could he possibly use a "retired" color in his challenge?!!? Doesn't he know we can no longer get it AND I have none left?!?!?!?!!!

Everything on your blog is fabulous this morning! I enjoyed my "visit".

Have a great day and go remake that card now and remind Gary how he should be signing it!

Laurie in MN (though in Boston at this moment!)
(a sister demo)

Beth Redding said...

Sweet card!
Blessings,
Beth

Design With Ink said...

Super cute card! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog so I could find it. :) I love it!

Jan Hoyt said...

well how 'bout that, those colors DO go together! Taken with Teal has taken a back seat in my stamp room lately....and it's one of my favorite colors! I will have to pull it out and play soon. Jan Hoyt
www.inkerzaway.blogspot.com

Patrice Pierce said...

I really like those colors together! Looks great!

Beth Redding said...

Hi Angie,
Thank you for the compliment on my card for Jaron's Challenge, but I am confused about this statement "Thanks for the CASE! ;o)"
Did you make a card somewhere like this? If so, I would love to see it, as I really wasn't pleased with mine ;)
Here's the address of mine . . .
http://bethstampedit.blogspot.com/2009/04/jarons-color-challenge.html
Blessings,
Beth